When Good Furniture Goes Bad


Furniture Repair, Staining Furniture, Fixing Wet Stains


Technically, it's not the fault of the furniture. More likely it's the result of years of wear and an overzealous cat. Either way, my grandmother's sewing stand was in need of a little TLC.
 
 
The stand has some fantastic bones, with it's spindle legs, octagonal sides and solid wood construction, but somewhere along the line someone in this household had set something wet on the top. After a couple years of hiding it with doilies and lamps, it was time to tackle the problem.
 
First order was to sand off all the shellac that my grandfather loved so much. It really wasn't that hard to do considering that it had failed and was flaking off. (Remember to wear a mask when removing shellac.)
 
The stains were contained to the center section of the top. It forms a perfect rectangle. I tried sanding off the wet ring marks, but they just wouldn't budge, so I decided that if I could remove I'd have to camouflage.
 
I started by staining the rest of the piece in a beautiful Minwax Golden Oak Gel Stain. I love the Gel stain because it goes on so easy and doesn't spill! After that I began taping off with blue painters tape around the edge of the middle section.
 
After making sure that the tape was secure I used a foam brush to paint the middle section with a soft black. I used BEHR Black Suede. You can tell it's one of my favorites because of the condition of the can. I promise nothing spilled.


After a few minutes I peeled away the tape to find a crisp, clear line left by the tape.
 

Now this should have done it. I should have been able to apply my poly coat and be done (with a little sanding in between), but then my cat decided that the top of the sewing stand would be a great place to bird watch. And, since he's a horrible jumper, I was left with scratches in the black part. So, after taking a deep breath I went back and sanded the top, both black and stain. I taped off the black section and repainted once again. Sigh. It was not what I wanted to be doing, but in the end it was worth it.
 
I offset the black with an edging of bronze permanent marker. Yup, you heard that right. I used a bronze crafting Sharpie to create a shadow line around the black before I reapplied poly (3X). It's hard to see here, but it was just enough to make it look like an inlay.


 
In the end, the extra work paid off. Now, if I can just keep the cat off of it I'll be all set!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme